Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The seatbelt

So there was this one time when I was 99.9% parched and stopped at a 7-11 to buy something that would quench my thirst. Ryan, who was only two or so years old, and I went in and quickly made our selection. When we got back into the car I reached over and buckled his seat belt and started the car. I was very careful to comply with the law which required that all children must wear a seatbelt. He turned to me and asked, “Why don’t you have to wear one?” I started to explain that the law only required children to be belted in and then tried to suggest that it was different for adults and then I just gave up. The look on his face suggested that he was very confused. So I reached behind my seat and put on my seat belt, which I’ve been wearing ever since that day in the 7-11 parking lot.

Kinda reminds me of work. In response to something management does, many staff usually ask a penetrating question that at times results in a terse or poorly thought-out response. It’s probably better to re-evaluate the practice or policy and listen to the team. In short, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I know, I know, I’m rambling again.

1 comment:

Kaylee Larsen said...

There was a time in your life when you didn't wear a seat belt? And I'm talking about your adult life. You're such a stickler about them; I thought you'd always worn one (once they existed, that is). Love you!