Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rear-view mirrors

So there was this one time I was driving along enjoying the beautiful weather. I checked my rear-view mirror, like all seasoned drivers do, and became a bit frustrated that I couldn’t see very much of what was happening behind me. I went through some pretty extreme head movements to see all that I wanted to see. And then I noticed that I hadn’t been paying enough attention to the road in front of me. Luckily, nothing happened and all were safe.

That’s when it hit me: there might be a reason that the rear-view mirror is much smaller than the front windshield. Perhaps I am supposed to pay more attention to the things that are ahead of me and not so much time on the things behind me. Or said another way, while reviewing where you’ve been can be very helpful, dwelling on it, especially the mistakes, will only cause more problems in the future. Learn from the past and look to the future, and make today count. Yah, yah, I know, I’m rambling again.

1 comment:

Kaylee Larsen said...

Oooo! Profound Father! I like it. Thanks for sharing.

PS I really like the updates on the family blog, but these ramblings remind me of sitting at the dinner table, or during family home evening, and hearing you tell your fun stories. This is who MY Dad is.

Now, I'm just waiting for a fun story about Brad... :)