Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Delicate Arch and aching arches















So there was this one time when my family moved across the valley to a new neighborhood and a new junior high. We moved during the summer and we all thought it would be a good idea for me to join the local boy scout troop on their annual scout camp. They were planning a week-long trip to Southern Utah and Colorado. I was very excited to go as I had never been to that part of the state and I wanted to get better acquainted with the boys in the neighborhood and ward.

Our first stop was along the Colorado River near Moab, Utah. While I was climbing among the rocks with the other guys, I jumped and landed funny on my heel, causing me considerable pain and a noticeable limp for the rest of the trip and many weeks thereafter.

A day or two later we went to Arches National Park, with the goal of hiking to Delicate Arch, one of the signature arches in the park. This was one of the main reasons I had decided to go as I admired its beauty. At first the hike was normal and I enjoyed the conversation with my fellow scouts, but soon I was falling behind, unable to keep up the pace due to my tender foot (no pun intended), and before I knew it, I was alone. I could neither see nor hear anyone on the trail, coming or going. Before long I came to a point where I had to make a decision in order to proceed. To me, there was no clear trail, no clear way forward, just a lot of shale and flat rock. I could see Delicate Arch ahead of me in the distance, and absent any other idea, I decided to head directly to the natural wonder. I don’t recall how long it took me to get there but when I finally arrived I was captivated with the wonder of it all. I walked around the arch and explored it as much as I dared.

Soon I became aware that I was all alone in this wilderness, and having absolutely no idea from whence I had come, I had no clue how I was going to get home. I decided to utter a silent prayer that someone would come along and take me home. A few moments later I heard voices in the distance, and to my surprise, it was my scout troop! Imagine the boys’ surprise when they realized ‘that new crippled kid’ had beaten them to the destination. Imagine the leaders' surprise when they saw me standing there, all alone. One leader took it upon himself to berate me for not following the clearly marked path and for putting them at risk. My 12-year-old mind was swimming in confusion. I was a brand new scout and had never before been on such a hike and I had certainly not intended to put the troop at risk – although I was not sure how I had. I was also wondering why and how no one had noticed that I was missing. What was once a feeling of relief was now a feeling of hurt and confusion.

I learned something about leadership that day. The leader has a responsibility for everybody in his or her care, regardless of their condition or circumstance. The leader has a duty to teach ‘the trail markers’ to the newbies. The leader has an obligation to see that all in his or her stewardship arrive safely at the destination. Years later I reinjured my heel, which brought home forcefully once again the lesson of leadership I learned that day at Delicate Arch. I know, I know, I’m rambling again.

No comments: