Friday, August 29, 2008

'Harry Potter' on performance appraisals

So, there was this one time I was watching "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I saw something that looked strangely familiar.

Toward the beginning of the movie, Dudley storms down the stairs and into the kitchen, anxious to see his many new birthday presents. His first question? "How many are there?" His father proudly announces, "36, counted them myself."

"36? It's malarkey! Last year I had 37!" he shouts.

His father quickly retorts, "But some of them are quite a bit bigger than last year."

Dudley continues his tantrum. "I don't care how big they are!"

His mother comes to the rescue. "Don't worry," she says. "Here's what we're going to do. When we go out we're going to buy you two new presents. How's that pumpkin?"

Kudos - in this instance - to his father for trying to manage the situation and his son's expectations. Shame on his mother for completely collapsing and having no backbone to tell him 'no.'

So it is with performance ratings at work. The effective evaluator provides fair and honest feedback, regardless of how the person will receive the news. To do anything less, is irresponsible as it will most certainly perpetuate the problem until it becomes unmanageable, like Dudley, or 'Dudders' as his mummy calls him.

I know, I know, I'm rambling again.

1 comment:

Kaylee Larsen said...

Anything from Harry Potter is amazing so of course I like that this is the basis for your discussion. I also think it's important to recognize the kind of follower that we need to be. We can't be Dudley's and always want to get our way, or get more. We have to be patient and wait for the "more" to come in its own way and its own time.